Changing location of proxy table?
Spencer Wasden
2008-08-20 15:12:00 UTC
SQL Anywhere 10.0.1.3619

I haven't been able to find a way to alter the location of a proxy table.
Is there a way? If not, has this been considered as a feature?

Thanks
Spencer
"Nick Elson" <@@@nick@@@.@@@@@@.@@@com@@@>
2008-08-20 18:48:25 UTC
What do you mean by location Spencer?

The location of a proxy table definition
is in the current database. The location
of the remote table is, uh, well ... ~remote~
... as per the remote server definition.

Do you happen to have something like
multiple remote servers defined (possibly
to the same external DBMS server) but
with different connection parameters?
If so, is the question of altering the proxy
to reference a different server maybe?

And/Or what do you expect to be the benefit
of such a feature would be?
Spencer
Spencer Wasden
2008-08-20 20:49:07 UTC
Post by "Nick Elson" <@@@nick@@@.@@@@@@.@@@com@@@>
Do you happen to have something like
multiple remote servers defined (possibly
to the same external DBMS server) but
with different connection parameters?
If so, is the question of altering the proxy
to reference a different server maybe?
Yes. Sorry for the ambiguity. My reference to location came from the
documentation (although I should have said "location-string"):

CREATE EXISTING TABLE [owner.]table-name
[ (column-definition, ...) ]
AT *location-string*

I would like to be able, instead of deleting/re-creating a proxy table, to
just alter the location, like:

ALTER EXISTING TABLE table-name
AT location-string

Sometimes I want to go back and forth between dev and test remote servers
without having to delete/re-create them.

Thanks
Spencer
Spencer
Breck Carter [sqlanywhere.blogspot.com]
2008-08-21 14:34:21 UTC
You can use ALTER SERVER to change where the remote server is located,
effectively re-locating all the proxy tables. This is what Foxhound
does to save enormous amounts of run time by pre-defining proxy tables
at build time.

Breck

--
Breck Carter http://sqlanywhere.blogspot.com/

RisingRoad SQL Anywhere and MobiLink Professional Services
***@risingroad.com
"Nick Elson" <@@@nick@@@.@@@@@@.@@@com@@@>
2008-08-21 14:57:49 UTC
Good tip Breck. I've done that before (not strictly
intending the alter proxy effect though; more
to correct my fat-finger typing).

Altering just 1 proxy has it's advantages too.
I usually just create 2 proxies when I need to
compare or switch back and forth frequently.
A view may be able to abstract that more
as well.

Currently one needs to drop and recreate that for
a 1-off. If it makes sense to do so, suggesting an
enhancement to allow 'alter existing table' syntax
on the futures newsgroup might be your next step.
2008-08-22 14:10:42 UTC
I can see where ALTER EXISTING TABLE LOCATION would be useful, where
you have established multiple remote servers and you want to
round-robin connect one proxy table to each server in succession. It's
not a need I've had... yet... or realized I've had (to be more
accurate :)

Breck

***@risingroad.com
m***@gmail.com
2015-03-17 03:38:58 UTC
Post by Spencer Wasden
SQL Anywhere 10.0.1.3619
I haven't been able to find a way to alter the location of a proxy table.
Is there a way? If not, has this been considered as a feature?
Thanks
Spencer
Hi ,

Can i create proxy table based on the procedure in the same database.
or my requirement is i am executing a procedure from a script
but the procedure doesn't have temporary table and direct select statement is there and from the procedure which returns select statement i want to insert into table. Is it possible any one can help