Disabling SQLA 12 Update Checker
Bob Leviton
2012-05-15 19:06:51 UTC

We deploy SQL Anywhere as the database server for client/server
applications at customer sites. Currently our customers are on SQLA
versions 8, 10, and 11. We are now testing SQLA 12 for upgrade and
deployment at customer sites.

We see that by default, under SQLA 12, when a customer user opens
Sybase Central, ISQL, or SQLA Console, they will in effect be prompted
to install the latest EBF. We don't want this - we need to maintain
control over what version of SQLA all of our customers are using, and
generally only apply an EBF to correct a specific issue that affects
our application. Even for maintenance releases, we don't want our
customers randomly upgrading without being advised by us to do so.

Does anyone have any advice, other than instructing each affected user
to set Update Checker to "never" in all three Sybase apps, and not to
update unless we tell them to?

Thanks,
Bob Leviton
a4
2012-05-16 06:33:49 UTC
Install registry compare. Take the snapshot of the registry before and
after you click on 3 options. Then click compare and create redo and undo
reg files. Appy the reg file on the customer instalation and that is it.
Google is your friend.

Best regards,
a4
Hi,
Bob Leviton
l***@emssatcom.com
2012-05-22 19:20:05 UTC
a4,
Thanks. Not the solution we were looking for, but we may use it, seeing as it looks like our only option.

Sybase - please note our concerns about this issue, I'm sure they must be shared by others.

For anyone else's benefit, here are the relevant registry entries I found:
HKEY_USERS\ <numeric user ID> \Software\JavaSoft\Prefs\ianywhere\update/Service\12\/A/S/A-/Plugin_12\frequency: "4"
HKEY_USERS\ <numeric user ID> \Software\JavaSoft\Prefs\ianywhere\update/Service\12\/D/B/Console\frequency: "4"
HKEY_USERS\ <numeric user ID> \Software\JavaSoft\Prefs\ianywhere\update/Service\12\/D/B/I/S/Q/L_12\frequency: "4"

(4 = never; 0 = on startup; 1-3 would be the other available frequencies)

Bob