"an engine with that name is already started" Win2003 R2
Alf Kato Brandal
2006-08-25 11:38:15 UTC
Hello,

we are running a client/server hierarchy with Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.5.05.
A machine just crashed, and we bought a new one, and are now trying to set
up this service on the new machine.

However, when we try to start the service, we get the error "an engine with
that name is already started".
If we try the startup command via the command line, everything is ok, so we
know the service is not
running already.

We have also changed the name of the service, so it is totally different
from the server name "-n name"
Still the same problem.

Do you have any other idea as of what might be the problem?

The machine is running "Windows Server 2003 R2"

Best regards,
Alf
Rob Waywell
2006-08-25 16:15:11 UTC
When you get the error, try running dbclient to connect to the server. If
this is successful then you will have verified that there really is a server
already running with that name. If it fails with a "server not found" type
of error then you will know that there really isn't a server already
running, but if you get a 'database not found" or "invalid user ID or
password" type of error then you will still have verified that there is a
server with that name running.

What OS was the old machine using?
What build number of 5.5.05?
Robert Waywell
Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Developer - Version 8
Sybase Certified Professional

Sybase's iAnywhere Solutions

Please respond ONLY to newsgroup

EBF's and Patches: http://downloads.sybase.com
choose SQL Anywhere Studio >> change 'time frame' to all

To Submit Bug Reports:
http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/cx.stm?starturl=casemessage.ssc?CASETYPE=Bug

SQL Anywhere Studio Supported Platforms and Support Status
http://my.sybase.com/detail?id=1002288
Alf
Alf Kato Brandal
2006-08-28 12:02:52 UTC
Ok, I can try that, but we know there is no server running with this name,
since this happens the first time we
try to install it on the site, and we can start it using the command line
"dbsrv50 -nName ...."
If it was running we should get the errormessage then too.

The build of 5.5.05 is 2787, and the old machine was running Windows XP. We
have also done this on several
other sites, on the same OS, but without these problems. So I was just
wondering if anyone else had these
problems on any installation.

Alf
Alf
Frank Ploessel
2006-08-28 17:31:37 UTC
Alf,

I remember in the old days when we used ASA 5.5 we had an issue with the
IPX communication protocol which caused a engine name to be remembered
even after the service was shut down until the computer that had run the
service was rebooted.
Maybe you can change the communiction protocols to be used to just TCPIP
(or whatever you use) using the -x command line option (see the
documentation for details), and then reboot the server and try if
everything works.

Frank
Graeme Perrow
2006-08-28 18:27:57 UTC
Post by Frank Ploessel
Alf,
I remember in the old days when we used ASA 5.5 we had an issue with the
IPX communication protocol which caused a engine name to be remembered
even after the service was shut down until the computer that had run the
service was rebooted.
Maybe you can change the communiction protocols to be used to just TCPIP
(or whatever you use) using the -x command line option (see the
documentation for details), and then reboot the server and try if
everything works.
I had forgotten about this, but yes, I've seen this problem as well. If
you're not using IPX, then change your -x option to list only the
protocols you use. If you are using IPX, I have found that installing
the SAP Agent seems to help clear this problem up. Go to the properties
page for the connection, click "Install" and then "Services", and look
for SAP Agent or Service Advertising Protocol.
--
Graeme Perrow
Senior Software Developer

Whitepapers, TechDocs, bug fixes are all available through the iAnywhere
Developer Community at http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/
o***@gmail.com
2013-09-15 16:13:56 UTC
On Friday, August 25, 2006 1:38:15 PM UTC+2, Alf Kato Brandal wrote: > Hello,we are running a client/server hierarchy with Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.5.05. A machine just crashed, and we bought a new one, and are now trying to set up this service on the new machine.However, when we try to start the service, we get the error "an engine with that name is already started". If we try the startup command via the command line, everything is ok, so we know the service is notrunning already.We have also changed the name of the service, so it is totally different from the server name "-n name"Still the same problem.Do you have any other idea as of what might be the problem?The machine is running "Windows Server 2003 R2"Best regards,Alf