SQL Anywhere upgradation to version 11
unknown
2010-09-02 20:21:23 UTC
Hello:

We have a system which is using SQL Anywhere version 9 with
DB remote options and more than 50 remote clients. We are
planning a database upgrade to SQL Anywhere version 11.

Can we upgrade our server to SQL Anywhere version 11 without
upgrading the clients to SQL Anywhere version 11.

I've tried to extract the remote site from DBv11 (server
file using dbxtract of v11) and execute in the DBv9
file(client file using dbisqlc of v9) and its not working.

Executing the same reload.sql file working in DBv11 file.

Please help me to resolve this issue...

Thanks in advance
Robin
"Nick Elson [Sybase An SAP Company]" <@@@@com@>
2010-09-03 15:09:41 UTC
And ... uh ... that should have stated
to consider building your own ***custom*** extraction.
,as in, build your own, scripted and/or templated process
to do the extraction. Many customers have done that
for various reasons that dbxtract was never designed
for.
If ms.db is your V11 consolidated database, that too
would be expected. You need to start that with
either dbsrv11.exe or dbeng11.exe and connect to it.
Thanks for your reply.
I've tried to extract remote site using dbxtract(v9.0.2)
from the V11 database file. But one error has come while
executing this..
--Adaptive Server Anywhere Extraction Utility Version
9.0.2.3274
C:\db\ms.db was created by a different version of the
software
I'm not aware about any customer extraction.. Is it possible
to upgrade server to version 11 without upgrading the
clients from version 9 using availbale options in sybase ?
We need to send messages from version 11 to version 9
database ..
Once again thank you very much for your time and
consideration..
Robin
The version 11 dbxtract will create a version 11 database.
Since you want to run that on a V9 dbeng9 or dbsrv9
that simply won't work.
You should try dbxtract from the v9.0.2 installation.
[Of course that will also require dbeng9.exe to work.]
If for some reason that does not work, since it may not
recognize the V11 system catalog, then you will need
to consider building your own customer extraction.
Robin
Volker Barth
2010-09-03 16:59:40 UTC
Yes, Robin, you can upgrade the consolidated and each remote
independently from v9 to any newer versions. Consequently, you can also
leave all your remotes on v9.
SQL Remote is built to work with different versions smoothly.

What you have noticed, is a changed behaviour with v11/v12 and only
relates to DBXTRACT (cf. the docs
http://dcx.sybase.com/1200en/sachanges/newpanorama-sectb-3789082.html) -
to quote:

"Extraction utility (dbxtract) behavior change
In previous releases the version of dbxtract used to extract a database
did not have to be the same version as the database server running the
database. Now, when dbxtract is used with a version 10.0.0 or later
database, the version of dbxtract used must match the version of the
database server used to access the database. If an older version of
dbxtract is used with a newer database server, or vice versa, an error
is reported."

So when you rely on DBXTRACT to extract your databases, you will have to
use the v11 DBXTRACT, and typically the resulting reload.sql script will
not work with a v9 database as it will contain SQL language elements or
system objects that a v9 database engine just does not know.

As Nick states, you will then have to upgrade new remotes (and the ones
who need to be re-extracted) to v11, or you will have to build your own
custom replacement for DBXTRACT (like lots of folks have done).

HTH
Volker
Robin
unknown